Members of the Ottawa Real Estate Board (OREB) sold 1,939 residential properties in May through the Board’s Multiple Listing Service® (MLS®) System, compared with 1,830 in May 2022, an increase of 6%. May’s sales included 1,477 in the freehold-property class, up 8% from a year ago, and 462 in the condominium-property category, a 1% increase from May 2022. The five-year average for total unit sales in May is 1,961.
“Typically the highest-selling month, May’s transactions did not disappoint,” says the Ottawa Real Estate Board President. “This month we saw the first year-over-year unit sales volume increase since February 2022. It is a promising year for sellers barring any interest rate adjustments, as we saw a correlated drop in sales every time there was an interest rate hike in 2022.”
“However, with only five to six weeks of inventory, we are in a strong seller’s market. With the pent-up high demand and sales volume increasing, we are likely to see upward pressure on prices as demand continues to outstrip supply.”
- The average sale price for a freehold-class property in May was $745,902, a decrease of 7% from 2022, but still on par with April 2023 prices.
- The average sale price for a condominium-class property was $442,859, decreasing 6% from a year ago. However, it marks a 2% increase over April 2023 prices.
- With year-to-date average sale prices at $727,728 for freeholds and $428,394 for condos, these values represent a 12% decrease over 2022 for freehold-class properties and a 9% decrease for condominium-class properties.
By the Numbers – Inventory & New Listings:
- May’s new listings (2,822) were 9% lower than May 2022 (3,117) and up 32% from April 2023 (2,140). The 5-year average for new listings in May is 2,922.
- Months of Inventory for the freehold-class properties has increased to 1.5 months from 1.2 months in May 2022 but down from 1.9 months in April 2023.
- Months of Inventory for condominium-class properties has increased to 1.3 months from 1 month in May 2022, although down from 1.9 months in April 2023.
- Days on market (DOM) for freeholds decreased from 27 to 23 days and 33 to 26 days for condos compared to last month.
REALTORS® also help with finding rentals and vetting potential tenants. Since the beginning of the year, OREB Members have assisted clients with renting 2,731 properties compared to 2,230 last year at this time, an increase of 22%.