Members of the Ottawa Real Estate Board (OREB) sold 1,488 residential properties in April through the Board’s Multiple Listing Service® (MLS®) System, compared with 1,876 in April 2022, a decrease of 21%. April’s sales included 1,156 in the freehold-property class, down 18% from a year ago, and 332 in the condominium-property category, a decrease of 29% from April 2022. The five-year average for total unit sales in April is 1,739.
“Ottawa’s resale market is on a steady upward trajectory, narrowing the comparison gap to peak pandemic activity in 2022. However, with new listings not keeping pace, the available housing stock is declining, and with less than two months of inventory — we’re back into seller’s market territory,” says the Ottawa Real Estate Board President.
By the Numbers – Average Prices:
- Average prices have increased by 13.9% in four months since the market low in December 2022.
- The average sale price for a freehold-class property in April was $747,123, a decrease of 10% from 2022. However, it marks a 5% increase over March 2023.
- The average sale price for a condominium-class property was $435,875, decreasing 8% from a year ago, but still a 4% gain over March 2023.
- With year-to-date average sale prices at $718,633 for freeholds and $421,722 for condos, these values represent a 13% decrease over 2022 for freehold-class properties and a 10% decrease for condominium-class properties.
By the Numbers – Inventory & New Listings:
- April’s new listings (2,144) were 25% lower than April 2022 (2,843) and up 3% from March 2023 (2,089). The 5-year average for new listings in April is 2,575.
- Months of Inventory for the freehold-class properties has increased to 1.9 months from 0.9 months in April 2022 but down from 2.3 months in March.
- Months of Inventory for condominium-class properties has increased to 1.9 months from 0.8 months in April 2022, although down from 2.1 months in March.
- Days on market (DOM) for freeholds decreased from 34 to 27 days and 39 to 33 days for condos compared to last month.
REALTORS® also help with finding rentals and vetting potential tenants. Since the beginning of the year, OREB Members have assisted clients with renting 2,151 properties compared to 1,786 last year at this time, an increase of 20%.
Post Your Comment: